Studies - Breast Cancer

Alabama Law Expands Treatment for Breast and Cervical Cancer (2009)

CANCER


HB147 signed into Alabama Law, expanding the treatment for women diagnosed with breast and/or cervical cancer through Medicaid. 

It will become effective July 1, 2009 and Medicaid has the funding for this new law.

This new law will cost Alabama Medicaid Agency approximately $3.7 million annually for providing treatment for cervical and/or breast cancer to approximately 250 new Medicaid eligible recipients under the age of 65 who are diagnosed to have breast and/or cervical cancer by either a National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP) provider or a private physician who has been identified by the Department of Public Health as part of the Alabama Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program and operates consistently within its guidelines.

The projected increase of $3.7 million would be split $835,000 (22.41%) from the State General Fund and the remaining $2.9 million (77.59%) from federal matching funds.

The actual amount of the increase in obligations would be dependent upon the number of new women that meet Medicaid eligibility requirements under the provisions of this bill and the cost of treatment.
Assigned Act No. 2009-320 on 04/30/2009.